Saturday, May 9, 2009

First Time At Bat



What a great week for our little girl! Her first softball game was Friday afternoon and boy what a way to start. After several weeks of practice it finally came down to that pivotal life changing event, the first time up at bat. It seemed like forever as she anxiously waded through the batting line up, checked the proper fit of her helmet several times in the batter’s box, and then finally stepped up to the plate. At that point I don’t know whose heart was pounding more hers or mine. I think all of us want to see our children succeed especially if it’s at something that’s new to them. Well, I wouldn’t have to wait long, after the second strike flew by her I watched her body language intently, she showed steadfastness about her and an intensity I only see in her when this little wonder of 8yrs is determined. Her head was lowered, teeth biting the lower lip, and feet firmly planted on the ground with her eyes fixated on the pitcher.
Her team was now chanting “Let’s go Lea, Let’s go” and the energy flowed through the field as though I was at a Red Sox game. A cool spring breeze comes over the field as the pitcher let’s loose the ball and it happens, she connects and drives the ball straight down the first base line and out of the infield. A base hit! Did this just happen? I thought to myself. As I continued to look through the view finder of my camera and release the shutter as fast as it would allow me I felt the biggest warmth of joy come over me and I can’t imagine the feeling of self accomplishment she must have been feeling. She continued to maintain composer, focus, and most of all team sprit throughout the rest of the game.
As a parent I was proud of her simply for having the courage to get up at bat, try something new, and show that she could continue to have a humble heart after such a successful event. I would have been equally just of proud of her if she had struck out. However, I should point out that she provided the team with three (3) more base hits during the game and scored one run. Although her team did win the game at this level the focus is on having fun and learning about the sport. Not bad for a “First Time Up At Bat”…
Oh’ although I couldn’t be there today for "Game 2" her mother reported that the day provided similar results with Lea’s team winning and her nailing 4 more base hits, so it looks like we will have to wait a little longer before the inevitable strike out….“Let’s go Lea. Let’s go!”







No comments:

Post a Comment